Karl Lagerfeld died yesterday in Paris at the age of 85. Known for his inimitable, witty, and often outrageous ways, the designer’s legacy spanned well beyond the exquisite collections that he created for the world’s top fashion houses.
In our industry, it can pay to be outrageous. In celebration of his life, here are 8848’s favourite Karl quotes pulled from today’s UK articles including Glamour, Elle and GQ.
- “Trendy is the last stage before tacky.”
- “Don’t dress to kill. Dress to survive.”
- “I’m very much down to earth. Just not this earth.”
- On Weddings: “Normally I don’t recommend me for wedding dresses – they all get a divorce.”
- On tattoos: “I think tattoos are horrible. It’s like living in a Pucci dress full-time.”
- On Pippa Middleton: “Kate Middleton has a nice silhouette and she is the right girl for that boy. I like that kind of woman, I like romantic beauties. On the other hand, her sister struggles. I don’t like the sister’s face. She should only show her back.”
- On short men: “What I hate is nasty, ugly people…the worst is ugly short men. Women can be short, but for men it is impossible. It is something that they will not forgive in life…they are mean and they want to kill you.”
- On women who object to thin models: “They are fat mummies sitting with their bags of crisps in front of the television, saying that thin models are ugly.”
- On his expensive taste: “When I was four, I asked my mother for a valet for my birthday.”
- On athleisure: “Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.”